- April 25, 2018. The University of Kansas’ Daily Kansan article, “Kansas athletes and coaches see importance in women leadership,” quotes LaVoi as to why when ADs state they want to hire “the best” coach, this can privilege men.
- April 20, 2018. WCCO/CBS Minnesota talks with Nicole M. LaVoi about the importance of the U of MN hosting largest Women Coaches Symposium in the US.
- April 9, 2018. WCCO/CBS Minnesota interviewed Nicole M. LaVoi, Ph.D., “Augusta National Turns New Page With Women’s Tournament.” LaVoi talks about the importance of women becoming members of the Club and how it impacts young girls and boys.
- March 23, 2018. LaVoi quoted in Bleacher Report piece “UConn Bad for Women’s Basketball? Not by a Long Shot.”
- March 16, 2018. LaVoi quoted in “U of M system to shoulder cost of Miller award”
- March 11, 2018. LaVoi talks with David McCoy on WCCO about the Women in College Coaching Report Card and why women coaches matter.
- March 7, 2018 The Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder News Online (MSR) has released an article, “New reports show little progress in college sport race, gender hiring.”
- February 7, 2018. @MinnesotaOnBTN interviewed LaVoi and featured the work of the Tucker Center for National Girls & Women in Sports Day.
- February 7, 2018. KARE 11 TV gave a nod to the Tucker Center’s 2017- 18 Head Coaches of Women’s Collegiate Teams: A Report on Seven Select NCAA Division-I Conferences in their story related to the National Girls and Women in Sports Day celebration on February 7.
- January 31, 2018. In an article, “Can Philly fans change their image? Yes, but only if they want to,” the Star Tribune quotes Nicole M. LaVoi, Ph.D., senior lecturer in the School of Kinesiology and co-director of the Tucker Center. LaVoi and others talk about the hows and whys of fan behavior, with some thoughts about what could happen at this year’s Superbowl.
- January 31, 2018.Nicole M. LaVoi, Ph.D., senior lecturer in the School of Kinesiology and co-director of the Tucker Center, will be the opening keynote for the first-ever women4women event held in conjunction with the 29th Annual Wisconsin Track Coaches Association (WISTCA) Conference held in Madison, WI, February 1-3, 2018. LaVoi’s talk is titled, “Educate.Stimulate.Advocate: Thriving in the Coaching Profession,”
- January 29, 2018. MomEnough podcast, listen to the audio titled “Youth sports, child health and character development: Candid reflections and practical tips from Dr. Nicole Lavoi of CEHD (U of M).”
- January 29, 2018. The book “Women in Sports Coaching“, published 2016 by Routledge and edited by Nicole LaVoi, Ph.D., senior lecturer in the School of Kinesiology and co-director of the Tucker Center was selected by Choice magazine as one of their Outstanding Academic Titles (OAT) for 2017.
- Jan 18, 2018. Nicole LaVoi, Ph.D., senior lecturer in the School of Kinesiology and co-director of the Tucker Center, spoke at the NCAA Convention Office of Inclusion Workshop & Sessions Women in Athletics: Initiatives for Progress. Her talk was titled, “Athletic Director Best Practices for Recruiting, Hiring and Retaining Women Coaches.”
- too many to keep track of!….
- February 32, 2017. LaVoi’s Women in College Sport Report Card is cited in Arizona Sonora News, Women continue to be neglected in NCAA Division I athletics
- February 16, 2017. LaVoi is quoted in “Men still coach majority of women’s collegiate teams,” a Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder article by Charles Hallman.
- February 6, 2017. LaVoi talks to MomEnough hosts on their radio show Being a Good Sport Parent: Practical Guidance on Bringing Out the Best in Your Young Athlete.
- February 2, 2017. LaVoi’s work cited in an article appearing on the InsideHigherEd online site, “Report: Hiring of Women’s Coaches Stagnates.
- February 1, 2017. LaVoi’s Women in College Coaching Report Card is released, espnW covers. Tucker Center report: Number of women college coaches still not making the grade
- January 28, 2017. LaVoi quoted in The Ledger piece, Local colleges say it’s difficult finding female coaches
- January 23, 2017. LaVoi featured in a row2K.com feature on Counting Coaches: The Distaff Side of Rowing Staffs
Finding a Seat for Women Head Coaches in Rowing Can a Challenge
- January 9, 2017. LaVoi featured Where Are the Women Coaches?, An NCAA Champion magazine feature.
- August 26, 2016. LaVoi talks with KARE 11’s Jana Shortal about Hope Solo’s suspension from US Women’s Soccer Team.
- August 23, 2016. LaVoi is named one of the Top 6 Women in Follow in the Sports Business World by Yahoo Finance.
- March 11, 2016. LaVoi writes a blog for CEHD 2020, CEHD’s Tucker Center Leads the Charge for Women in Sports Coaching
- February 17, 2016. LaVoi quoted in WSJ piece about how college sports prepares women for higher workplace engagement.
- February 11, 2016. LaVoi, is featured in a Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder article, “Colleges show slight gain in women head coaches.” LaVoi is quoted discussing the report and its widespread impact.
- February 6, 2016. LaVoi sees “flickers of hope” for women’s sport in 2016 in Pittsburgh’s Post Gazette.
- February 1, 2016. LaVoi quoted in Kate Fagan’s espnW exclusive on Women in College Coaching Report Card 2015-16.
- December 21, 2015. LaVoi quoted in Highlander piece Women Coaches Wanted.
- December 1, 2015. LaVoi featured in CEHD Connect magazine A Champion for Coaches.
- November 17, 2015. LaVoi comments to WCCO on how and why youth sport needs reform.
- October 12, 2015. LaVoi discusses why Senior Dancers are a crowd favorite at Lynx, Wolves games.
- October 7, 2015. LaVoi quoted in the Dispatch-Argus QCOnline.com titled How women in sports are changing the game.
- September 28, 2015. LaVoi quoted in The New Jersey Record, For women, a gender gap persists on youth coaching sidelines.
- September 14, 2015. LaVoi quoted in Fortune magazine, Less than half of women’s college sports teams are coached by women.
August 13, 2015. LaVoi quoted in the Chicago Tribune’s The Mash How Women in Sport are Changing the Game.
- July 29, 2015. LaVoi quoted in the Christian Science Monitor piece on the hiring of Jen Welter by the AZ Cardinals.
- June 2, 2015.TIME Magazine quoted Dr. Nicole M. LaVoi in the article, “The Cost of Not Hiring Women Coaches.”
- March 18, 2015. LaVoi talks with Marty Moss-Coane on WHYY, NPR public radio station in Philly about the challenges women face and media treatment of women, along with two other panelists.
- February 27, 2015. LaVoi quoted in Duluth News Tribune about the firing of Shannon Miller.
- February 21, 2015. LaVoi talks to Dan Kraker (MPR Duluth) on the firing of women’s hockey coach Shannon Miller that got picked up on NPR.
- February 18, 2015. LaVoi quoted in MN Daily piece about how the U of M fared in comparison to peer institutions on the Women in College Coaching Report Card.
- February 17, 2015. LaVoi talks KARE 11’s Karla Hult about the MSHSL State Dance Team controversy and the inherent teachable moments.
- February 17, 2015. LaVoi talks with WCCO Esme Murphy on the high cost of youth sport.
- February 13, 2015. LaVoi was interviewed by MPR in Duluth on the firing of Shannon Miller.
- February 13, 2015. LaVoi quoted in Yahoo Sports! piece, Shannon Miller hits Minnesota-Duluth with Title IX accusation after dismissal.
- February 13, 2015. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune piece, How UMD’s women’s hockey program costs compare to other programs.
- February 7, 2015. LaVoi talks with WCCO 830 Radio host Esme Murphy on girls’ sport participation and why women coaches matter.
- February 5, 2015. The Star Tribune quoted LaVoi about the women in coaching report and NGWSD.
- February 4, 2015. espnW’s Kate Fagan writes a special release article quoting LaVoi “Women Coaching Women? Big-Time Schools Grade Out Terribly” and adds another special page for the infographic.
- February 4, 2015. LaVoi interviewed by WCCO TV’s Angela Davis on the release of the 2014-15 women in college coaching report card.
- January 9, 2015. LaVoi quoted in MPR piece Female hockey coach firing was about more than money.
- January 7, 2015. LaVoi is quoted in Inside Higher Ed titled “Salary Ceiling for Women Only?” where she comments about the Shannon Miller case as a “game changer” for women in the coaching profession.
- January 5, 2015. LaVoi is quoted in the Minneapolis Star Tribune article “Female coaches in girls’ hockey still scarce, doubted.”
- December 18, 2014. LaVoi is quotes in New York Times article “Citing Budget, Minnesota-Duluth Cuts Ties With Women’s Hockey Coach.”
- December 17, 2014. LaVoi talks to KARE 11’s Boua Xiong about the firing of UMD women’s hockey coach Shannon Miller.
- November 26, 2014. LaVoi is quoted in the St Louis Post-Dispatch article “Sporting-goods Industry Ignores One of its Biggest-growing Markets” on 12-year-old McKenna Peterson’s letter to Dick’s Sporting Goods about the absence of women in their catalog.
- November 23, 2014. LaVoi talks to the Cedar Rapids, IA The Gazette article, “Are there differences between coaching men and women?” about a University of Iowa field hockey coach firing, and the consequences of different expectations for male and female coaches.
- October 22, 2014. LaVoi writes an invited piece for the New York Times Room For Debate on “Taking Sports out of Schools“
- October 16, 2014. LaVoi and colleagues collaborative project to design and develop culturally sensitive clothes for East African girls is featured on Fox 9 News segment.
- October 14, 2014. LaVoi quoted in Washington Post story on young girl’s letter to Dick’s Sporting Goods on lack of girls in catalog.
- September 12, 2014. LaVoi comments in Star Tribune story on the NFL’s missed opportunity to create real social change and awareness about violence against women.
- August 21, 2014. LaVoi talks to KARE11’s Jana Shortal about Shelly Boyum Breen’s new book series Shelly Bean the Sport Queen.
- July 18, 2014. LaVoi is quoted in Chicago Tribune article, Don’t let spoilsports ruin a good family game.
- June 25, 2014. LaVoi is quoted in Chicago Tribune article, Steering reluctant daughters to play sports
- May 28, 2014. LaVoi talks to Dave Zirin of Edge of Sport Radio on violence against women and the role of sport.
- May 27, 2014. LaVoi quoted in OC Register article about female athletes playing oversees.
- May 10, 2014. LaVoi quoted in TheDailyDot “3 lies we tell ourselves about women’s sport”
- May 5, 2014. LaVoi quoted in the Daily O’Collegian “Gender neutral or consumer friendly? Equal coverage in sports is no slam dunk”
- May 2, 2014. LaVoi quoted in WCCO’s ”Good Question”: What Can Watching Sports Do To Our Bodies?“
- May 2, 2014. LaVoi quoted in MinnPost article praising MN Lynx Head Coach Cheryl Reeve for calling local media out on lack of coverage of women’s sport & promoting the Tucker Center’s #HERESPROOF campaign.
- March 24, 2014. LaVoi talked with Charles Modiano of POPSspot (Power, Oppression, & Privilege in Sport) Sports Radio. Listen to the full show as they talk about the gendered nature of Bracketology, media coverage, sport leadership and more!
- March 24, 2014. LaVoi talks with FOX 9’s Scott Wasserman on the lack of live coverage of the NCAA Women’s Hockey Tournament.
- February 11, 2014. Listen to LaVoi’s radio interview with Jim DuBois on Access Minnesota as they discuss the decline of women in college coaching.
- February 6, 2014. Huffington Post cites Tucker Center documentary in piece titled Why I Am Watching the Sochi Olympics
- January 28, 2014. LaVoi writes invited article for the Minnesota Youth Hockey Newsletter Should Boys and Girls be Coached Differently?
- January 10, 2014. The CBS Morning Show ran a segment featuring high-profile female athletic directors discussing the lack of women in sport administration and coaching. The segment was inspired by the Tucker Center’s recent release of the Women in Collegiate Coaching Report Card.
December 19, 2013. LaVoi’s work on women in college coaching is featured in exclusive USA Today column by Christine Brennan Report: Colleges doing poorly at hiring women coaches. Other media outlets including The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Ed, Athletic Business, espnW, and the USOC Coaching Education Newsletter among many others pick up the story.
December 19, 2013. Women in college coaching research initiative and Report Card (with infographic) authored by LaVoi is launched.
December 12, 2013. LaVoi featured in Rosenblum’s StarTribune column ‘Here’s Proof’ female athletes also can deliver high TV ratings.
December 1, 2013. The documentary Media Coverage & Female Athletes featuring LaVoi premieres on tptMN.
November 26, 2013.LaVoi featured in 3-part series on tptMN blog. The Statistics Behind Media Coverage and Female Athletes.
November 23, 2013. LaVoi featured in 3-part series on tptMN blog.An Inside Look at Media Coverage and Female Athletes with Nicole LaVoi.
November 8, 2013. LaVoi’s report on women coaches cited in ProPublica article titled Personnel Fouls: Sex Discrimination Suits Shake Tennessee Athletics.
October 10, 2013.LaVoi’s invited column for the New York Times “Room for Debate”- Can Playing Ball Be Bad for Children? addresses opportunities for girls in athletics in the context of some parents’ “winning at all costs” attitude.
October 1, 2013.LaVoi quoted in Star Tribune article titled Don’t drop this ball: the plight of the totally uncoordinated sports parent.
September 24, 2013. LaVoi appears on WCCO TV and comments on gender differences and intermittent fasting.
September 9, 2013. LaVoi quoted in article titled Does Sex Actually Sell Surfing?
August 27, 2013. LaVoi quoted in espnW article by Kate Fagan Sex Sells? Trend May be Changing.
June 12, 2013 LaVoi quoted in MinnPost article by Gregg Aamot titled Rethinking youth sports: Businessman David Baird tries a different kind of hockey camp
May 12, 2013 LaVoi participates in HuffPost Live panel on Sports Illustrated’s Lady Problem?
LaVoi was invited by the National Alliance for Youth Sports write an “Ask the Expert” column for their Sporting kid Spring 2013 magazine about a mother’s concern about lacrosse being too aggressive for her daughter.
April 9, 2013. LaVoi appears on KARE 11 TV with Jana Shortal talking about Griner trying out for the NBA.
April, 8, 2013. LaVoi quoted in Daily Chronicle article titled “As more girls play sports, fewer women have coaching jobs”
March 26, 2013. LaVoi talks to WCCO TV reporter Heather Brown on The Good Question about why women’s sport is not televised.
March 20, 2013. LaVoi comments on the controversies surrounding Brittney Griner in the espnW article by Kate Fagan, “What Brittney Griner says about us.”
March 19, 2013. LaVoi explains the misconceptions of Title IX and the stereotypes surrounding gender capabilities in sport in Northwest Herald article “Invading the boys club.”
March 13, 2013. LaVoi interviewed by The Oregonian about tips for getting your teenage daughter physically active.
February 25, 2013. LaVoi quoted in Clarion Ledger in article about sexual abuse in sport and the power held by coaches.
February 13, 2013. LaVoi weighs in on WCCO TV about the high school hockey Farmington goalie quitting mid-game.
January 7, 2013. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article about how parents can help tween girls develop healthy self-esteem.
October 17, 2012. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article about parental violence at youth sport events.
August 8, 2012. Read LaVoi’s invited commentary on MPR about gender and the Olympics titled, “In London and elsewhere, women athletes have made this a year to shine.”
August 8, 2012. LaVoi talks to KARE 11’s Rena Sarigianopoulos about the first female to referee an NFL game.
July 31, 2012. LaVoi appears on KARE 11 TV discussing Olympian Missy Franklin’s unique pathway to elite performance.
June 23, 2012. LaVoi quoted and writes scholarly pieces about the 40th anniversary of Title IX.
June 22, 2012. LaVoi appears on FOX 9 News discussing the 40th anniversary of Title IX.
June 8, 2012. LaVoi is featured in the College of Education and Human Development’s Vision 2020: Ideas. Research. Impact. Her blog is titled Concussions and Female Athletes – Prevention and Treatment
May 29, 2012. LaVoi’s column “Title IX: The status of women’s sports after 40 years” appears in the June issue of the Minnesota Women’s Press.
- May 28, 2012. LaVoi is quoted in the Sacramento Bee article on NCAA lacrosse murder civil suit of Yeardly Love.
- May 24, 2012. LaVoi featured in interview on Coach Hub titled “A Sports Psychologist’s Advice to Parents and Coaches.
- May 18, 2012. LaVoi quoted in The Daily Planet article titled, “Looking at girls in sports as Title IX marks 40 years in Minnesota and the United States.”
- May 7, 2012. LaVoi quoted in Yahoo.com article titled “Are Competitive Sports Safe for Girls?”
- April 11, 2012. LaVoi appears on FOX9 news with Scott Wasserman discussing premiere of “Concussions & Female Athletes: The Untold Story” on the Big Ten Network. Watch the documentary for free here.
- March 31, 2012. LaVoi quoted in espnW & ESPN The Magazine article on the scarcity of female coaches, titled “The Glass Wall: Women continue to shatter stereotypes as athletes. So how come they can’t catch a break as coaches?
- March 4, 2012. LaVoi quoted in FoxSportsNorth column on the mental toughness of Timberwolves player Ricky Rubio. “Rubio: From docile to determined in an instant“
- February 22, 2012. LaVoi quoted in Right to Play blog, titled “Beyond Ballgames: The Impact of Sport for Girls.
- February 15, 2012. LaVoi quoted in Women in World Foundation article on “Beyond Ballgames: The Impact of Sport for Girls”
- February 14, 2012. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article “Couples who sweat together, stay together.”
- January 19, 2012. LaVoi is invited to write a commentary for Minnesota Public Radio. “Tale of two hockey players offers a sharp look at gender equity in sports”
- December 31, 2011. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article “Girls deal with concussions too”
- December 10, 2011. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article “Sports can act as cover for abusers”
- December 6, 2011. LaVoi appears on WCCO “Good Question” with Liz Collin on why as a society we like violence in sport.
- November 28, 2011. LaVoi is featured in an ESPN.com blog on determining a good fit between a coach and an athlete. “Which Coaching Style Works for You?”
- November 17, 2011. LaVoi and former master’s student, Erin Becker, had their research on mother-coaches mentioned in The New York Times’ parenting blog. The blog poses the question, “Why don’t more moms coach?”
- November 7, 2011. LaVoi appears on WCCO Sports Sunday with Mark Rosen to discuss a variety of issues around girls and women in sport.
- October 11, 2011. LaVoi is quoted in Rachel Blount’s StarTribune column titled, “Lynx’s championship should give boost to women’s sports”
- October 10, 2011. LaVoi talks with KARE 11 Dave Berggren about the Tucker Center and TPT documentary about the untold story of female athletes and concussion.
- September 16, 2011. LaVoi appears on KARE11 with Boua Xiong discussing “hype” of the Minnesota Lynx in the WNBA playoffs. “Move over boys! Here come the Lynx!”
- September 1, 2011. LaVoi appears on WCCO “Good Question” with Jason DeRusha to discuss lack of media coverage of the Minnesota Lynx.
- August 21, 2011. LaVoi appears on WCCO Sports Sunday with Mark Rosen to discuss a variety of topics related to youth sport.
- August 16, 2011. LaVoi appears on Fox 9 News with Scott Wasserman discussing exercise and life expectancy.
- August 2, 2011. LaVoi appears on a WCCO segment with Mark Rosen called “Practice, Not The Pro-Shop, Makes A Swing” at the Edinburgh Golf Course, MN.
- July 2, 2011. LaVoi quoted in TIME.com Business story “Game, Sex and Match: The Perils of Female Sports Advertising”
- April 2011. LaVoi quoted in Fitness magazine story “This Way Up” on the process of goal setting.
- March 24, 2011. LaVoi interviewed on Fox 9 News regarding the Minneapolis being awarded an expansion team of the Lingerie Football League. To see the interview click here.
- March 4, 2011. LaVoi quoted extensively in The Sputnik newspaper on Selling sex doesn’t sell sports.
- December 17, 2010. LaVoi talks to Dave Zirin about espnW on his Edge of Sports radio show.
- September 29, 2010. LaVoi quoted in The Daily Beast blog post “Female Jocks Rule the World”.
- September 17, 2010. LaVoi is live on Fox 9 News with Jeff Passolt discussing the complicated issues pertaining to sports reporter Ines Sainz and the Jets. To see the interview click here.
- August 31, 2010. LaVoi interviewed live on Fox 9 News with Jeff Passolt regarding hazing incident involving the Elk River football team. To view interview click here or here.
- August 11, 2010. LaVoi quoted in NY Metro Parents magazine story, “How to Encourage Your Daughter to Be Physically Active”, including “Dr. LaVoi’s tips for getting you daughter active”.
- August 11,2010. LaVoi quoted in NY Metro Parents magazine story, “Long-term Benefits of Sports Participation for Girls”.
- July 26, 2010. LaVoi quoted in The Salt Lake Tribune story, “What happened to Utah’s beloved sandlot?”
- June 5, 2010. “You’ve Gotta Fight For Your Right…to Blog?: A Legal and Ethical Primer to Sports Media in 2010” Blogs With Balls 3.0, Chicago. To see video of panel click here.
- April 25, 2010. LaVoi quoted in the Post Crescent News story “Area coaches weigh in on differences in coaching boys and girls athletes”
- March 30, 2010. LaVoi is quoted in MediaPost News story “espnW Focuses On Women’s Sports“
- February 18, 2010. LaVoi talked with Buck Benson of The Roadhouse Radio Show on WTIP, a community radio station broadcasting on the North Shore of Lake Superior. LaVoi discussed the benefits of sport participation for girls.
- February 15, 2010. LaVoi quoted in the New York Times Well Blog on the benefit of sports to girls entitled “As Girls Become Women, Sports Pay Dividends,” by Tara Parker-Pope.
- February 15, 2010. LaVoi interviewed by Fox9 TV on a fight that broke out among sport parents at a recent Burnsville, MN, 6th grade basketball tournament. LaVoi talks about sporting situations that can result in parents fighting.
- February 10, 2010. LaVoi appears in a KARE-11 TV video interview as part of a short piece entitled “Lindsey Vonn poses for Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.” LaVoi’s recent blog post drew fire in highlighting the media’s propensity to portray female athletes as sex objects.
- January 13, 2010. LaVoi commented in a WCCO video interview on concerns regarding Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn’s weight. Some Austrian coaches had commented that Vonn’s higher weight advantages her. LaVoi points out that “when it comes to female athletes, many people talk more about how they look than what they actually do.”